3D Mapping internship
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2023
ANYbotics is a fast-growing tech company dedicated to shaping the future of mobile robotics across multiple industries. Join our highly talented and motivated team of more than 100 people and work on cutting-edge robot technology.
Currently, we have a new and exciting internship to join a team with specialists from the field of Robotic Perception, working on the topic of dense 3D mapping. The starting date is marked by the availability of the candidate. The duration of the full-time paid internship is six months. As an intern in the Navigation and Perception Team @ ANYbotics, you will be integrated into daily development tasks including feature development, testing, and verification. You will join a team of robotics software engineers with deep knowledge of software architecture and algorithms. We diligently strive for a robust, highly performant, and user-friendly system, constantly coming up with new ways to optimize working with ANYmal. At the end of this project, ANYmal should be able to build highly-accurate, efficient and human-interpretable 3D models of the environment. This shall be achieved through the processing of the data from its onboard sensors.
The Market & Our Technology
ANYbotics transforms industrial plants in the energy, process, and utility sectors by introducing robotics to a wide range of novel applications that so far were beyond reach. Our customers are large asset operators and industrial service providers pioneering the use of robotics technology for inspection and maintenance. Our mobile robot ANYmal uses legs for extreme mobility in complex environments, camera- and LIDAR-based sensing for full autonomy and obstacle avoidance, and AI for high-quality and reliable inspection results. We develop numerous customized hardware systems, including the entire robotic platform, actuators, sensors, inspection payloads, charging systems, and all related ANYbotics mechanical hardware.
- Implementing algorithms for filtering noises and outliers from range sensors
- Implementing algorithms for integrating large volumes of data into a high-fidelity representation
- Profiling and implementing algorithmic optimizations to guarantee acceptable performance of the solution
- Integrating frontend and backend components to deliver a minimal version of a 3D mapping product for operator situational awareness
- Testing the implemented solution on a physical robot
- Writing detailed documentation for the developed feature
- Currently, a master, PhD student or a recent graduate in computer science, robotics, or related fields
- Strong skills in C++ and knowledge of ROS
- Experience with point cloud-based SLAM algorithms and volumetric 3D Mapping frameworks (such as Voxblox, Ohm, UFOMap)
- Experience with methods for dense 3D scene reconstruction (such as TSDF, occupancy-mapping, and occupancy)
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Strong collaborative skills with the ability to work independently
- Willingness to participate in the development of state-of-the-art robotics technology applied to real-world problems.
- Fluent in English
- As a bonus, you have experience with optimization methods and libraries (Ceres, GTSAM)
Our Summarized Stack
- Modern C++ is our main language (for all things robotics and systems)
- Our robots and systems run on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 and ROS Noetic
- Bash is our main scripting language
- We have a cool CI/CD based on GitLab
- Python is used for scripting and for machine learning
Please note that we are only able to consider applications from Schengen-Area citizens (except for ETH and EPFL students' compulsory internship).
We offer you a very exciting and dynamic work environment, the opportunity to become part of a fast-growing company and an ambitious team that is on a mission to change the industrial inspection market, a chance to leverage your experience and bring in your own ideas, a fair market salary, an attractive employee stock ownership plan, and a job in the city of Zurich.