Applications Software Engineer / Autonomous Robots
Software Engineering, IT
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
ANYbotics is a fast-growing tech company dedicated to shaping the future of mobile robotics across multiple industries. Join our highly talented and motivated team of more than 100 people and work on cutting-edge robot technology.
We are looking for an Applications Software Engineer to join our fast-paced software engineering team. Your role will be to design and develop the next generation of robotic applications (including inspection applications) for ANYmal, together with your team and top robotics engineers at ANYbotics. This involves designing and implementing software solutions so that ANYmal can perform ever-more complex jobs. For this our users require end-to-end applications (e.g. automatic reading of machinery sensors, heat source detection, leak detection, and sound assessment of the environment) as well as a means to interact with and operate ANYmal remotely at times. In addition to your code, our inspection solutions of the future will include the integration of 3rd-party as well as open source solutions. Your contributions to partner collaborations will achieve successful integration of these external solutions into our holistic robotic inspection solution.We constantly come up with new ways to optimize the performance and skills of our robots, allowing customers to gain valuable insights into their facilities and processes as easily and efficiently as possible. With your technical expertise, you actively contribute to making our robots smarter, more robust, and more user-friendly.
The Market & Our Technology
ANYbotics transforms industrial plants in the (renewable) energy, process, and utility sector by introducing robotics to a wide range of novel applications that so far were beyond reach. Our mobile robot ANYmal uses legs for extreme mobility in complex environments, camera- and LIDAR-based sensing for full autonomy and obstacle avoidance, to perform jobs and deliver high-quality, consistent inspection results. We develop numerous customized hardware systems, including the entire robotic platform, actuators, sensors, inspection payloads, charging systems, and all related ANYbotics electrical hardware.
- Designing and implementation of end-to-end applications in the backend (e.g. inspection workflows)
- Implementing backend changes to and integrating applications into our main GUI: Workforce
- Design, extend and maintain a scalable and consistent API (to frontend and data systems)
- Debugging and testing the applications, in simulation, physically in house and in the field with the robot
- Evaluating, integrating and testing solutions from and collaborating with external partners
- Increasing the information richness automatically obtained from the robot’s environment through visual and thermal cameras, microphone and gas sensors (and potential future payloads)
- Improving and maintaining the existing software stack (i.e. direct contributions to CI/CD, tools)
- Participation in planning, organisation and tracking of personal and team objectives and tasks
- Writing testable code and writing precise and effective software documentation
- Engineering or science degree with a focus on computer science, electrical engineering or robotics
- Excellent in object-oriented programming in C++ (Python is a bonus)
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Strong in self-coordination, able to structure your work independently and deliver results
- Strong ability to design and implement end-end applications in the backend, while having the frontend and user in mind
- Strong interface-driven thinking, excited and able to design a scalable and consistent API. Experience with Protobuf is a bonus
- Strong motivation to solve connected problems, also outside core area of expertise (i.e. robots are fun and challenging)
- Good knowledge of Linux, its command line interface, git, gitlab (or similar) and docker
- Good at testing (sometimes debugging on hardware systems) and creating testable code
- Interested in working with select external partners and learning from users (in the field)
- Willing to travel ca. 2-3 weeks per year to co-locate with ANYbotics team members and users
Our summarized stack
- Experience with video/data streaming and associated protocols (e.g. WebRTC)
- Some experience with computer vision to recognize good models from partners
- Able to integrate linux drivers for sensors
We offer you a very exciting and dynamic work environment, the opportunity to become part of a fast-growing company and an ambitious team that is on a mission to change the industrial inspection market, a chance to leverage your experience and bring in your own ideas, a fair market salary, an attractive employee stock ownership plan, and a job in the city of Zurich.