Senior Backend Engineer - Platform (all genders)
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer for our Infrastructure team in Berlin!
- Work on maintaining and developing a variety of new business-critical microservices at the intersection of platform and infrastructure underlying Babbel’s applications
- Have the opportunity to engineer and work on a high-available and scalable cloud-native environment
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to outline architectural decisions and technical specifications
- Drive the initiative of modernizing existing platform services to ensure they are prepared to meet scaling, reliability, and security business requirements
- Bringing along your previous experience, you will participate in team 24/7 on-call rotation, ensuring that our business critical platform services are available at all times
- Strong engineering and architecture experience and extensive knowledge of distributed systems and event-driven architecture in a cloud-native environment.
- Solid programming and architectural skills in node.js and one or more of our core languages, such as Ruby, Go, or Python.
- Past strong hands-on experience with AWS services (e.g., Lambda, ECS/Fargate, Kinesis, DynamoDB, RDS/Aurora)
- Practical experience with infrastructure-as-code and infrastructure automation with Terraform
- Experience with CI/CD, alerting, and monitoring solutions
- In addition to being experienced with MySQL or PostgreSQL, you also have worked with DynamoDB
- Willingness to learn and openness to feedback
- You thrive collaborating and mentoring team members while sharing practical knowledge and trends.
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.