Senior Data Engineer (all genders)
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
For more information about Babbel and our language learning solutions, please visit www.babbel.com or download our app from the App Store or Play Store.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer (full-time) to join our Data Engineering team in Berlin.
Do you want to help us leverage data to transform the way people learn languages? Join us as a Senior Data Engineer and play a pivotal role in empowering millions of individuals worldwide to explore new languages and cultures. As part of our diverse and supportive team, you'll enjoy flexible work hours and remote options while taking the lead in shaping our data architecture and designing innovative data models.
At Babbel, our Data Engineering team is focused on creating simple yet powerful systems that process streaming and batch data to power the user's app experience and drive insightful analytics. You will specialize in handling streaming data from our apps, as well as ETL pipelines and data models, that integrate with our core product features. These services are crucial for understanding how users interact with our app, tracking time spent, and counting activities as they happen.
- Spearhead the development and optimisation of our data collector, focusing on event and real-time streaming use cases
- Design, build, and maintain APIs and SDKs to enable self-service access to the LDM for internal teams
- Lead the design and implementation of data models to support business needs at scale using dbt, Snowflake and Databricks Lakehouse Platform
- Collaborate with data analysts and data scientists to deliver high-quality data solutions
- Participate in our knowledge sharing sessions (we're a learning company, after all!)
- Mentor and coach other data engineers, fostering a culture of learning and growth
- Solid experience in Dimensional Modelling and Data Warehousing
- 5+ years of experience with Python with focus on building data pipelines.
- Hands-on experience with cloud data warehouses, ideally Snowflake or Databricks Lakehouse Platform
- Solid experience with Spark Streaming
- Deep understanding of API development and experience building SDKs for internal tooling or third-party use
- Expertise in working with the AWS environment (S3, Kinesis, Lambdas, DynamoDB)
- In-depth SQL knowledge and extensive experience working with dbt
- Attention to detail, a strong sense for data, and a deep commitment to ensuring data quality
- Good understanding of data governance principles and best practices
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, since you will need to collaborate with business, engineering, and data science teams
- Skill to write clear documentation and debug data effectively
You should have previous experience with:
- Experience in backend development and deployment
- Organizing knowledge sharing sessions
- Mentoring other engineers
- Designing and maintaining complex dimensional schemas
- Defining data contracts
- Optimizing complex SQL queries
- Designing data architecture for a domain or a whole organization
Nice to have skills
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.