Site Reliability Engineer
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2020
Coda started with an observation: In a world full of applications, why do documents and spreadsheets still run everything? And why haven't they been updated in over 50 years? Coda is a new doc that's familiar and flexible like the documents you're used to, but comes with building blocks you can combine to create docs as powerful as apps. It's a big product with an even bigger mission. And we need your help to spread the word! We're backed by some of the Valley's leading venture capitalists, and have assembled a world-class team across offices in San Francisco, Mountain View, and Seattle, and remote employees all over the US. In fact, all our jobs are open in any location across the US. Here's a quick overview of what we do.
About the Role
As a member of Coda's SRE team, you will operate as both a full-stack engineer and an expert in the reliability and scalability of our services. You will work across our product from our mobile and browser-based clients to our servers and infrastructure. You'll work with a stellar team of passionate, experienced engineers, designers and product managers who have been instrumental in building some of the most widely-used technology products in the world, including YouTube, Google Drive/Docs, Amazon AWS, Pinterest, and Microsoft Azure.
Our current stack focuses on React, TypeScript, and Node with our server infrastructure running on Kubernetes and other hosted and self-hosted services in AWS. We believe in using the best tool for the job in hand, and don't shy away from solving hard problems! You will report to the Head of our Infrastructure & Security.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop, deploy, optimize, and manage robust microservices.
- Manage the stability, operation, scalability, and automation of several essential production apps.
- Work with ground breaking technologies including AWS Cloud, Kubernetes, Snowflake, and Terraform.
- Independently troubleshoot systems and environments including applications, networking components and develop scripts, applications, and processes to improve system stability.
- Setup, configure and maintain public, private cloud infrastructure, and monitoring tools.
- Work in a collaborative, across multiple geo-located offices
- Help ensure our customers have an excellent experience using Coda
- Participate in the engineering team's on-call rotations for customer support and live production issues
You may be a great fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy working with others, and are motivated and excel when challenged.
- Have 2+ years of industry experience in a software engineering role and have a software engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Have experience building high scale and distributed web-based systems on Cloud infrastructures such as AWS, Azure or similar Cloud-based environments.
- Have experience running multi-cluster Kubernetes environments a good knowledge of multi-tenancy and security needs.
- Have experience with distributed architectures/systems, cloud database technologies at scale, and optimized software that operates on many nodes.
- Care deeply about best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
How we care for our Codans!
We are committed to providing highly competitive cash compensation, equity, and benefits. Check out our compensation philosophy. The compensation offered for this role will be based on multiple factors such as the role's scope and complexity, and the candidate's experience and expertise, and may vary from the range provided: $125,000 - $250,000.
Starting on your first day of employment, Coda offers a wide range of benefits and perks that support eligible employees and their family members. Some of our benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Optional Remote or in-office work
- Commuter Benefits
- Cell & Internet Subsidy
- Lunch Subsidy
- Fitness Subsidy
- Parental Leave
- Annual Educational Stipend
At Coda, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. Coda believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.