Sr. Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2023
At Vida, we help people get better — and we’re helping the healthcare system get better, too.
Vida provides expert, personalized, on-demand health coaching and programs through a network of experienced health care providers — like dietitians, therapists, and health coaches and leading medical institutions — coupled with an easy-to-use app with award-winning content.
We focus on chronic conditions — like diabetes, depression, and hypertension — which account for 80% of the $3 trillion spent on healthcare in the US.
By combining advanced technology with the top-notch healthcare providers, Vida is breaking down the barriers that have historically kept people from getting the best care. Vida’s cloud-based platform captures real-time data from 100+ devices and apps and delivers AI-driven insights back to employers, health plans, and providers to improve care. We are trusted by Fortune 1000 companies, major national payers, and large providers to enable their employees to live their healthiest lives.
**Vida is authorized to do business in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Vida is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where Vida is registered.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The backend infrastructure engineering team designs builds and maintains the APIs that power our mobile and web applications as well as the underlying cloud-based services that they run on. You will be joining this creative and dedicated team as a technical leader to make an immediate impact on our business. We are small enough for you to have a large impact and big enough to learn and grow from your peers.
The team works cross functionally with a multidisciplinary team of mobile, test, web, product, design and clinical experts to build and design new product experiences for both our providers and our members. In addition, we work closely with our data science teams to integrate AI powered features into our platform
The role also involves learning about, prototyping, and integrating the latest Generative AI features into end-user experiences.
This is a remote position, working with a team typically working in the pacific time zone.
- Design and build out of distributed cloud-based infrastructure services which enable multiple applications for the rapid member growth at Vida.
- Contribute to the rapid build out of our LLM infrastructure, gaining familiarity with the latest tools and technologies as they evolve.
- Evolve our architecture, with a mindset to constantly improve reliability, efficiency and speed while also allowing for cleaner and quicker feature development.
- Collaborate within your team: review and give feedback on mobile and web features and designs, design APIs to enable the features, test, ramp, and monitor the success of the features you build.
- Collaborate across Backend engineering: help bring new ideas and best practices to other Backend engineers, help define and drive the long term technical roadmap.
- Be an owner of your work in all environments from staging to production. We are looking for those willing to raise their hand and step up to follow a project all the way through, from finding the problem to celebrating the solution.
- Set up monitoring and alerting on services to continuously improve our SLA.
- Find cloud-native solutions to problems and find ways to increase efficiency and reduce the cost of services.
- 3-5+ years of software engineering work experience.
- Experience with designing service oriented architectures, distributed systems, GraphQL and REST APIs.
- Advanced proficiency with building, deploying and managing container based services within Kubernetes running in a public cloud environment.
- Ability to lead and coordinate delivery of work with other software engineers.
- Strong skills and experience in the foundational skills of Software Engineering, such as Data Structures, OO Design, Relational Databases.
- Working knowledge of developing scalable, resilient and secure backend services in languages such as Python and Livescript.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ownership mindset: Be excited about monitoring and alerting on your systems, and be ready to query your own tracking data to find out how your feature is doing.
- Actively contribute to creating/sustaining a culture of engineering excellence - hire great engineers, lead, mentor, take charge and get things done.
- Experience with working in the healthcare industry, building HIPAA-compliant services, and using healthcare standards such as FHIR.
- Experience with managing cloud environments using infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform
- Experience with monitoring and alerting systems such as NewRelic, DataDog, Grafana.
- Experience with asynchronous systems such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, PubSub, Kinesis.
- Experience with API modeling and test tools such as OpenAPI, Swagger, GraphQL, and Postman.
- Competitive compensation with meaningful stock options
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance (We cover 100% of your premium and 80% for your dependents)
- Healthcare FSA Plan
- Dependent Care FSA Plans
- 401K Program
- Flexible PTO Policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- 10 Paid Company Holidays
- We’re a distributed company, so you can work from most US states (We still have a HQ office in San Francisco)
- Access to a Vida Health Coach and the full Vida App
- New hire home office stipend
- Training and leadership development programs
- Learning & Development stipend
- All Company Events
- Team Based Connection Opportunities
- Significant opportunities for growth and development as the business grows
As backend infrastructure engineers, the team works end to end on developing new services and features, getting them into production and monitoring the success of them. If you have demonstrated an ability to ship software, we encourage you to apply even if you do not have the exact experience or do not meet certain requirements.
Vida is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
Diversity is more than a commitment at Vida—it is the foundation of what we do. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our platform and those we serve. Vida is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures.
We do not accept unsolicited assistance from any headhunters or recruitment firms for any of our job openings. All resumes or profiles submitted by search firms to any employee at Vida in any form without a valid, signed search agreement in place for the specific position will be deemed the sole property of Vida. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Vida as a result of the unsolicited referral.