Backend Engineer - Ruby (all genders)
Babbel is the world’s first and most sold online language learning platform, driven by the purpose to create mutual understanding through language. This means building an ecosystem of language learning offerings that helps people connect across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Live and Babbel for Business provide users with the most effective solution to be able to communicate with real people, in real situations. Babbel’s team consists of 750 Babbelonians representing over 65 different nationalities working in Berlin and New York.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to join one of our Ruby engineering teams!
- Deliver value iteratively by building high-quality services and tools
- Build, maintain, and take ownership of core platform services and tools for internal use
- Own architectural design and constantly propose improvements to the overall architecture
- Ensure that the systems you own are healthy, resilient, and perform well
- Collaborate cross-functionally on feature design, architectural decisions, and assessing technical debt
- Shape our coding guidelines and quality standards
- React, troubleshoot and solve operational events (bugs and incidents)
- Focus on continuous learning and improvement and drive the evolution of our engineering practices
- Experience in building applications using Ruby / Ruby on Rails
- Knowledge about API design and third-party API integrations
- Basic understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases (MySQL, AWS DynamoDB)
- Basic understanding of distributed systems and event-driven architecture
- Knowledge of analyzing metrics about system health and performance (for example DataDog, CloudWatch, PagerDuty, Rollbar)
- Testing experience on different levels: unit, integration, etc.
- Good understanding of lean and agile practices
- Openness to learning new things and reaching outside your comfort zone
- Love for an open, inclusive culture that supports learning and encourages collaboration
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns at the beginning of your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.