Senior Data Manager (all genders)
Babbel is the world’s first and most sold online language learning platform, driven by the purpose to create mutual understanding through language. This means building an ecosystem of language learning offerings that helps people connect across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Live and Babbel for Business provide users with the most effective solution to be able to communicate with real people, in real situations. Babbel’s team consists of 750 Babbelonians representing over 65 different nationalities working in Berlin and New York.
We are looking for a Senior Data Manager (Quality & Governance) (full-time) to join our Data team in Berlin.
As a Senior Data Manager (Quality & Governance) within our newly created Central Data team, you will play a key role in developing and implementing effective data management and governance to increase data quality. You will work closely with domain product owners, data product owners, data producers, data consumers and other stakeholders to define the data ecosystem, data governance policies, procedures, and best practices that ensure the discoverability, compliance, quality and interoperability of our data products.
- Create and enforce standards and best practices across domains, promoting data awareness for effective data management and fostering a culture of data-driven decision-making.
- Formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data
- Developing and implementing data processes and practices, including data lineage tracking, data quality management, metadata management, data issue resolution etc.
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing
- Collaborating with domain data product owners, data engineers and relevant stakeholders to assess data governance needs, introduce necessary standards and data quality controls, and ensure compliance.
- Establishing metrics, monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them.
- Establish metrics and monitor adoption and adherence to data operations policies and procedures.
- Collaborating with Platform teams to ensure data governance principles are integrated into data systems, applications, and infrastructure.
- Proven experience as data manager or relevant area
- Excellence understanding of data management and data governance functions
- Strong knowledge, understanding and implementation proficiency of data governance principles, concepts, policies, procedures, guidelines and in data governance tools and technologies.
- Experience working with a Data Mesh architecture or similar decentralized data governance models is a plus.
- Familiarity with data privacy, security, and data protection regulations (e.g., GDPR, CCPA) and their implications on data governance.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders at all levels.
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.