Senior Data Engineer (all genders)
Babbel is the world’s first and most sold online language learning platform, driven by the purpose to create mutual understanding through language. This means building an ecosystem of language learning offerings that helps people connect across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Live and Babbel for Business provide users with the most effective solution to be able to communicate with real people, in real situations. Babbel’s team consists of 750 Babbelonians representing over 65 different nationalities working in Berlin and New York.
We are looking for a Senior Data Warehouse Engineer (full-time) to join our Data Engineering team in Berlin.
Do you want to help us leverage data to transform the way people learn languages? Join us as a Senior Data Warehouse Engineer and play a pivotal role in empowering millions of individuals worldwide to explore new languages and cultures. As part of our diverse and supportive team, you'll enjoy flexible work hours and remote options while taking the lead in shaping our data architecture and designing innovative data models.
- Lead the development and evolution of our data architecture
- Mentor and coach other data engineers, fostering a culture of learning and growth
- Lead the design and implementation of data models to support business needs at scale using dbt, Snowflake and Databricks Lakehouse Platform
- Collaborate with data analysts and data scientists to deliver high-quality data solutions
- Participate in our knowledge sharing sessions (we're a learning company, after all!)
- Solid experience in Dimensional Modelling and Data Warehousing
- Strong understanding of data governance principles and best practices
- Hands-on experience with cloud data warehouses, ideally Snowflake or Databricks Lakehouse Platform
- Expertise in working with the AWS environment (S3, Kinesis, Lambdas, RDS, DynamoDB)
- Fluency in Python
- In-depth SQL knowledge
- Extensive experience working with dbt
You should have previous experience with:
- Organizing knowledge sharing sessions
- Mentoring other engineers
- Designing and maintaining complex dimensional schemas
- Defining data contracts
- Optimizing complex SQL queries
- Designing data architecture for a domain or a whole organization
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.