Senior Fullstack Engineer - Growth (all genders)
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
We are looking for a Senior Fullstack Engineer to join our office in Berlin!
Your mission will be to change the future of language learning by ideating and validating a new space for Babbel. You will work in a small team, close to subject matter experts and researchers to bring this mission to reality.
- Deliver value iteratively through high-quality applications and features.
- Own a dynamic ecosystem of applications and services.
- Collaborate within a Growth team on end-to-end customer features.
- Architect and propose continuous improvements to services.
- Ensure optimal performance and resilience of owned systems.
- Collaborate cross-functionally on feature design, technical decisions and assess technical debt.
- Shape coding guidelines and maintain quality standards.
- Swiftly react and troubleshoot operational events.
- Drive continuous learning and evolution of engineering practices.
- Contribute to all development phases within a small to medium sized team.
- Propose, implement, and validate solutions.
- Quick Learner: A quick learner who is comfortable with uncertainty and shines like a star when the path is clear and certain.
- Communication Maestro: A natural communicator who thrives in fostering collaboration.
- Tech Explorer: Comfortable navigating NodeJS backends, AWS infrastructure, and tools, with a solid understanding of platforms like AWS lambda, AWS EKS etc.
- AWS Aficionado: Familiar and comfortable with AWS Aurora and AWS DynamoDB.
- Learner's Ally: Passionate about solving problems for learners and always eager to iterate on solutions.
- Experiment Enthusiast: Ready and willing to dive into AB experiments and Minimum Viable Products (MVPs) while progressively iternation on solutions and code.
- Experience in rapid Build-Measure-Learn cycles and growth-focused teams.
- Strong in API design, data modeling, and applying design patterns to model data and improve code.
- Familiar with component-based frontend frameworks/library, preferably NextJS or custom ReactJS setups.
- Testing experience across unit, integration, contract, and E2E levels.
- Collaborative mindset, with a can-do attitude for MVPs and short iteration cycles.
- Good understanding of lean and agile practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Nice to have:
- Experience with an online learning company with focus on growth.
- Experience in a big organization(s) and startup environment.
- Strong understanding of Event-Driven Architecture.
- Knowledge of analyzing metrics about system health and performance (ideally DataDog, CloudWatch, PagerDuty, Rollbar)
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code, ideally with Terraform.
- Experience with responsive design and working with design teams.
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.