Fullstack Engineer (all genders) - 2 year contract
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
For more information about Babbel and our language learning solutions, please visit www.babbel.com or download our app from the App Store or Play Store.
We are looking for a full-time Fullstack Engineer (all genders) for Babbel Live (2 year contract)!
Babbel Live offers online tutoring classes, taught live online, with a certified language teacher and a small group of students. In your role as a Backend Engineer, your mission will be to change the future of language learning while working in a flexible and stimulating environment. Working in a diverse team together with motivated colleagues, you will be collaborating and diving into different disciplines to broaden your knowledge in other fields of expertise as well as share your own. You will contribute to great architecture and build the base of an easily extendable and well maintainable application. As part of the Live team you will help shape the architecture of our scheduling and booking systems and to enhance their capabilities while keeping a close focus on maintainability and scalability. You will work in a diverse and fast paced environment with an up-to-date tech stack based on serverless principles and event driven architecture.
- Collaborate cross-functionally on feature design, architectural decisions, and assessing technical debt
- Help shaping our coding guidelines and quality standards
- Create user interfaces for a smooth user journey between booking and the virtual classroom
- Build APIs to integrate Babbel Live with the rest of the Babbel ecosystem as well with third-party tools
- 3+ years of experience building scalable systems and applications using Node.JS
- Knowledge of serverless and event driven architectures (e.g. AWS Lambda, AWS API Gateway, AWS Kinesis) and NoSQL databases (e.g. AWS DynamoDB)
- At least 2+ years of experience with AWS
- 1+ year of experience with at least one component-based frontend framework like React /Angular
- Sense for good API design and knowledge of third-party API integrations
- Knowledge of analyzing metrics about system health and performance (CloudWatch, PagerDuty, Rollbar)
- Can-do attitude to build MVPs and iterate on them in short cycles
- Testing experience on different levels: unit, integration, contract, and E2E
Nice to have
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code and infrastructure automation, ideally with Terraform
- Knowledge of component-based frontend frameworks, ideally React
- Experience with
- cross-browser development
- building scheduling systems
- Google Calendar API
- Zoom API
- Hands-on experience with virtual classroom systems
- Startup experience
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.