Information Security Engineer (all genders)
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
We are looking for an Information Security Engineer for our Information Security Team in the heart of buzzing Berlin!
Defining and operating a framework of information security controls and management strategies as well as promote information security and data compliance. Consult stakeholders on the management and organizational implementation of information security and data compliance measures combined with monitoring and reporting of the information security status.
- Perform technical analysis and review of systems architectures (mostly AWS)
- Collaborate with internal and external (mostly technical) stakeholders (e.g infrastructure team, software developers, technical product managers, engineers, etc.)
- Consult stakeholders on technical improvements to the systems architecture with technical security measures
- Map information security requirements to our architecture
- Support implementation of technical and organizational information security measures
- Design and implement future information security architecture and cloud-native solutions with appropriate security controls present balancing between security posture and usability based on business requirements
- Monitor compliance with security policies and procedures
- Participate in information security relevant due diligence activities
- Conduct and support information security incident response activities
- Automate information security relevant activities
- Strengthen Babbels information security and data compliance culture
- Information Security enthusiast
- Intrinsically motivated, always curious and never stop learning
- A quick learner, able to dive into new topics quickly, filter and digest the relevant information
- Inquisitive and analytical
- Clear communicative to the point and collaborative
- Comfortable working in a lean and agile environment
- General understanding of technical security measures (e.g. encryption, IAM, OAuth, firewalls, network access control lists, etc.)
- In depth knowledge of cloud security measures, services and architecture in AWS (and GCP as plus) and hold AWS security relevant certifications (e.g. AWS Solution Architect, Security Specialty)
- System engineering knowledge (incl. technical architectures, networking, etc.)
- Software development life cycle (SDLC) knowledge regarding tools and processes
- Familiarity with relevant business tools and enterprise architecture as well as common information security tools (e.g. Mobile Device Management, Okta, Nmap, Nessus, Jenkins, GitHub, etc.)
- Understanding of information security attacks and corresponding incident response
- Understanding in information security operations
- Network design and architecture
- Analytic skills: you think things through and are a thought leader
- Ownership mindset for tasks: You take end-to-end responsibility for a task from idea/start to finish
- Prioritization which helps you focus on the most important and urgent tasks which have relevant impact
- Good understanding of lean and agile practices
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English (incl. technical terminology)
- Great awareness of cyber security trends and hacking techniques
- Experience in using Terraform for IaC (esp. AWS, GitHub and GCP)
- Other technical Certifications (CISSP, GIAC, OSCP, etc.)
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Join one of the fastest-growing education technology companies and contribute in making learning a whole new experience. And of course: get full access to our world-leading language learning content!
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.