Data Engineer (all genders)
Babbel is the top-selling language learning platform globally. We are driven by our purpose of creating mutual understanding through language. Through the Babbel app, Babbel Live classes, Babbel podcasts, and Babbel for Business products, we provide learners with the most effective solutions, enabling them to communicate in real-life scenarios with real people.
The Babbel team is as diverse as our content. With headquarters in Berlin, Germany and our US office in New York, we're a team of 1,000+ people from over 80 different nationalities.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our B2B team in Berlin
As a Data Engineer, you will contribute to our efforts to change the future of language learning. It will be done in collaboration with motivated colleagues of differing disciplines who encourage one another to broaden our knowledge while contributing expertise. We have built a B2B data platform, taking advantage of our centralized data architecture and adding services to address the needs of our customers. You will contribute to the further design and evolution of this B2B specific data architecture as we extend it to match our growth and need to deliver further insights.
- Collaborate in the further development of a B2B data platform that enables stakeholders and customers to gain insights into the full utilization of all Babbel products
- Design and implement our evolving event driven data system to enable the provision of timely and complete insights
- Integrate scalable data services into the evolving platform to account for the ingestion of additional data sources for insights
- Add to the evolution of a data model that successfully includes learner activity events
- Contribute to the overall monitoring of data services as the team takes greater ownership of all B2B event data
- Automate the set up and potential recovery of these services and related infrastructure
- Share ideas to help the team continue to innovate our data architecture and our ways of collaboration and delivery
- Participate in and potentially lead knowledge sharing sessions - we are a learning company inside and out
- Strong knowledge of AWS services and tools, our platform is built primarily on them
- Proficient command of Python
- Familiarity with the automation of infrastructure deployment and management using tools such as Terraform and CDK
- Experience with Databricks Lakehouse Platform and/or Snowflake, particularly in ETL and data sharing capabilities
- Motivation to build ingestion and orchestration processes that support the availability of well monitored data to be easily used by other team members to build views and dashboards as needed
Nice to have:
- Implementing an ETL pipeline using Spark
- Integration of an orchestration tool into data processing pipelines
- Building customer-facing data reporting systems with tools such as AWS QuickSight
- Knowledge of data modeling and how data can be delivered to help with efficient processing of underlying data
- Experience with CI/CD tools and pipeline
- Good understanding of relational (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL (e.g. DynamoDB) databases
Some perks of becoming a Babbelonian:
- Enjoy 30 vacation days and the chance to take a 3-month Sabbatical. Plus family and life situation counseling.
- Decide how, when and from where you want to work with our flexible working hours and remote friendly options as Jobbatical (up to 3 months inside the EU) or work from our fully equipped office with nap, faith and family rooms.
- Learn and grow with the internal learning opportunities, and use a yearly learning & development budget for external training. Learn languages with Babbel for free with your full access to Babbel & Babbel Live classes.
- Take advantage of your mobility benefits options and a discounted Urban Sports Club membership.
- Be part of our employee communities (such as Femgineers, DE&I Ambassadors and LGBTQIA groups), attend cultural and regular social events.
Diversity at Babbel
As part of our ongoing journey towards building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company, we welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in tech. We are a learning company, inside and out, and we encourage you to apply even if you do not fit all the technical requirements - all candidates are assessed based on skills, qualifications and on our business needs. Please state your pronouns in your application, and let us know if you’d like to be addressed by a name other than the one appearing on your official documents. If you have a disability or special need, feel welcome to inform us, so that we can provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.